Basically this is the hierarchy:
1. Thumbnails: literally are the size of your thumbnail. Sketches, ideation, brainstorm on visual concept. Normally hand drawn.
2. Roughs: 1/2 scale of final video (16:9 for HD). To include ‘guesstimate’ of the following- general timings of each scene, sound indications of where music, natural sound (nat sound), voice over (V/O) is being played or used. Angles of camera shots. Transitions (dissolve, wipe, push, etc.).
These may consist of still frames shot with still camera, or pulled out from raw video footage shot already.
3. Comps: Full scale, as close to finish as possible. As accurate as you may get on timings, transitions, sound. Number and indicate under ‘main frames’ of scene what is going on.
4. Frame grabs: these are taken from the Final Video with main scenes, to show flow of Finish.
5. Finish: your final output from your video.
Links to other sites